Monday, December 20, 2010

Yo quiero quesadilla...

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a sucker for Mexican food.  You would think that after working in a Mexican restaurant for 4+ years (that I just finally quit so I could start school again!), that I would be completely sick of it, but it's something I crave ridiculously often.  I would say that 40% of our meals have a Mexican inspiration that we at least attempt to make a bit healthier.  One of our absolute favorites would be roasted corn salsa quesadillas.  A spicy mix of chicken, roasted corn, jalapeños and gooey cheese makes this a favorite of ours.  Several years ago, my Aunt Linda hosted my bridal shower and she prepared the roasted corn and black bean salsa and I've been hooked ever since.  It's a super easy recipe and always gets lots of compliments.

Roasted corn and black bean salsa:

- 1 lb of frozen corn, thawed (or you can use 4 corncobs and slice off the kernels)
- Several teaspoonfuls olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Minced garlic, to taste/preference
- One can of black beans, rinsed
- 2 jalapeños (you can use less, but I like a nice spicy kick) diced small with seeds removed
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (I've used yellow onion before as well)
- 1 lime, juiced.
- Several tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin


  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. In small bowl mix together corn tossed with several teaspoons of olive oil and dusted with garlic powder. Toss onto baking sheet and bake until begins to brown on top. (many times I turn on the broiler to speed it up).
  3. In larger bowl, add black beans, minced garlic, diced jalapeño, chopped red onion, juice of 1 lime.
  4. Once corn is roasted, add to larger bowl and stir.  Add in chili powder and cumin and stir.  Add chopped cilantro and let refrigerate for several hours to let the flavor really set in.
I love throwing this salsa together in a tortilla with sharp cheddar cheese and some baked chicken, browning it on the stove, and enjoying with a side of salsa and sour cream for dipping. BEST THING EVER!


Look at all that yummy goodness


It's one of those recipes that you honestly can't mess up.  Every time I make it is a little different.  I'm really not one of those people that follows a recipe exact; more or less just use it as a basis of what to add.  Is anyone else like that? Do you find yourself always going towards one food genre (Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean, Chinese, etc.)?

No comments:

Post a Comment